Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays. Can we remember a time when the holidays haven't been connected to homemade pumpkin pie? It's a delight we all share, although there are many different recipes. My plant-based family has taken special measures to eat a pumpkin pie that embodies the values we hold especially dear this time of year. One that shows care for good health with conscientious ingredients that take into account others, our animal friends, and our life-sustaining planet.
Here is my Mom's famous pumpkin pie recipe, which is delicious and has all the home-for-the-holidays feel. The best part? No guilt or upset stomachs afterwards. In fact, rich with organic flaxseeds, this desert will help you to digest. Not a bad thing during holiday feasting.
Let's get baking! Later we'll have some pumpkin pie, and maybe do some caroling?
- 2 cups organic almond flour
- 2 Tbs organic ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tbs water at a time till dough consistency
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 6 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1 15oz box of organic pumpkin
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground organic ginger
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp organic almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make the crust by mixing ingredients in a food processor adding water 2 Tbs at a time till dough consistency
- Roll the dough into a ball and store in fridge overnight.
- Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper and press into a glass pie pan.
- Make the filling by first making flax eggs with flaxseeds and water in a cup and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the flax eggs, applesauce, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, sugar, almond flour, and half the almond milk into a mixing bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer. Add the rest of almond milk while mixing and try to keep the mixture as solid as possible.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees and for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely, cover, and store in the fridge overnight for the best consistency before serving.
This pie only gets better day after day. It's light and lovely. It's perfect for your dairy-free or gluten-free friends. Show others how much you care about them, their welfare, and future. Let's proliferate kindness this year.
You can find us many places on the internet. Check our blog homepage for updates. Sign up for email notifications for each of our new posts. (We won't email more than once per week.) Join a plant-based community of nearly 2,000 members and get daily meal and lifestyle inspiration on our awesome Instagram account! Engage with us on Twitter and Facebook. Leave a comment or question below that we promise to answer.